Each compass sector is assigned an element and a color. Although elements only can activate the chi energy, the mindful purpose is reinforced with the correct assigned color. You want to keep in mind that there are specific feng shui sectors that you can use a fire element in. These sectors govern various areas of your and your family’s lives.
Burning a red candle will stimulate wealth luck. Other feng shui colors associated with wealth include gold and purple. There is often a tendency for people to believe that if one candle will stimulate wealth or abundance then several will bring them greater blessings. Use a candle here to activate the wealth chi energy to increase wealth, such as finances and work-related income.
The south sector is governed by the fire element. Placing red candles in this area will activate the fire element. The south sector also governs the fame and recognition as well as fortune areas of your life:
- Assist in job promotion and pay increase
- Promote recognition of accomplishments, such as scholastic and career
- Give your reputation a boost
Lillian Too discusses the various uses of candles in feng shui to infuse auspicious energy into various areas of your life. She gives examples in her book, Lillian Too’s Easy-to-use Feng Shui: 168 Ways to Success. One of these areas is the Southwest sector.
If you feel your social life is suffering or is practically non-existent, then Too suggests giving it a boost with fire energy. She explains this yang energy will activate the governing Southwest sector when a red candle is placed and burned for a period of time.
Activate All Elements
You may simply wish to use candles in your feng shui designed home, but are cautious about creating an imbalance within the elements and the energies each governs. A great solution is to create a centerpiece that incorporates all the five elements.
Create a Five Element Candle Centerpiece
This approach will activate all the elements in an equal and balanced way.
- Use a glass bowl.
- Layer pebbles (earth element) in the bottom of the bowl.
- Carefully fill bowl with water (water element).
- Add pieces of metal (metal element), such as tiny metal balls or nuggets.
- Add flower petals (wood element) in any color desired to float on top of the water.
- Set floating candles (fire element) in the bowl and light.
Too explains that this attractive feature gives a representation of all five elements and acts as a power energizer.
Number and Color of Candles
Numbers are important with each having a particular set of energy. Colors are also assigned to compass directions and can be used in conjunction with each sector.
Numbers also play a significant role in feng shui applications, for example lucky bamboo arrangements are created with various numbers of stalks to represent the energy the numbers attract. While feng shui number meanings go beyond that of nine, most people won’t use more than nine candles to generate fire energy. Too many candles would be inauspicious.
Feng shui number meanings include:
- 2: Expression of love
- 3: Happiness, long life and wealth
- 4: Chinese word for four sounds like the word for death – avoid
- 5: Intuitive, mental, physical, emotional and spiritual
- 6: Sounds like the word for luck
- 7: Good health
- 8: Grow and thrive, fertility
- 9: Good luck
Feng shui compass directions are also assigned colors to go with the various elements of each sector. You can use these assigned colors to narrow your choices of candle colors.
The colors and their meanings include:
- East: Green candles
- Southeast: Blue, red and purple
- South: Red, pink, burgundy and peach
- Southwest: Red, pink and white
- West: Gray, white silver and gold
- Northwest: White, gray and black
- North: Blue and black
- Northeast: Blue, green, aqua and black
- Center of home: Yellow, brown and tan
Balance Is Important
A word of caution is needed since feng shui is about balancing energies and not overloading any one element. Keep the number of candles you use in direct proportion with the size of the room or space you are using them in. Too many candles will defeat your objective and create an imbalance of energies.